Thursday, March 14, 2013

What Pushes You to Write?

I have really been struggling. I have one manuscript finished - getting reviewed by an Editor. This is sort of nerve racking.

My second manuscript is currently going through an overhaul. Fun. Fun.

Sometimes I feel like I'm pushing against the impossible.

I haven't written anything in a few months and am drooling to getting back to what I love.

In the last few months, I’ve been asked why I continue writing if I'm not yet published.  I've been asked this question or something similar several times.  Initially it was someone who really wanted to know how I get motivated. It seemed that they were searching for their own brand of motivation.  In my opinion, determination is much more useful than motivation.

Of course initially I was upset.  But after thinking about it...this is a logical yet misguided question. Everyone wants to succeed at a passion. Maybe it is piano (which I am terrible at) or sports or something else. Not everyone will be Beethoven or Picasso.  But does that mean we don't try.  If we spend our lives comparing our work with someone else s...we will be dissatisfied and a failure.

In the end, I write for me.  It is fun and a way to express myself. If my only goal is to be published or make money than I could be in trouble. The good thing, being published is only one of my goals.

So I decided to come up with several reasons why I write:

1.) Because I can.

2.) I want to change the world – some authors have been so blessed to write something that actually changes the world, even stopping it at times.  Who wouldn’t want this?

3.) I want something my kids can be proud of.

4.) It is in my mind, I just need to get it out.

5.) I love to learn, I love to improve.

6.) I have a dream of getting published.

7.) I want to make money.

8.) I want to see my book on the shelves of a bookstore.

9.) It is such a blast to do.  (Most of the time)

10.) It is far better than editing.

Feel free to add your own reasons to write.  It is an amazing thing to do. What motivates you?

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand that! Publishing is just one stepping stone to what I want out of writing. I write becasue it pushes me to be better to work harder and to have a creative outlet in my life. There's something about making words on a page come to life that's thrilling. Being published would be nice, but just becasue I publish doesn't mean I'll quit writing becasue writing is a bigger passion than getting published.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mirror your sentiments entirely - and many parts of your journey as well. If nothing else, it's comforting to find that I'm not alone. I write for all your reasons listed - and for the joy of one day making it to the apex of the mountain (and releasing that boulder in the picture). I would like to find out what it feels like to excise the word 'aspiring' from the word 'author.' After many years of working on the craft, it'd be an interesting thing to experience. Thanks for the post, Logan. All the best, mate.

    ReplyDelete